In a hurry?
I have been growing various types of succulents and cacti for 7 years now. Some of the varieties I have planted include Graptopetalum, golden barrel cactus, Echeveria, cholla (Cylindropuntia), and pincushion cactus among others.
Through my garden and research, I have learned how to choose the best soil for succulents and cactus whether they are the pre-mixed potting mixes or DIY soil mixtures. The best-prepacked mixes include the Miracle-Gro Cactus Potting Mix, Hoffman 10404 Succulent Soil Mix, etc.
If you would like to prepare your soil for your outdoor succulents, follow the procedure below. This applies to the DIY gardeners and those who already have such materials as garden soil, sand, gravel, compost, and perlite.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Picks – Best Soil for Succulents and Cactus
- 2 Miracle–Gro Cactus Potting Mix
- 3 2. Hoffman 10404 Succulent Soil Mix
- 4 3. Fat Plants San Diego Succulent Soil
- 5 #4 Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil
- 6 #5 DIY Soil Mix for Succulents and Cactus
- 7 Procedure for Preparing Soil for Outdoor Succulents
- 8 Summary
Top Picks – Best Soil for Succulents and Cactus
Best Overall – Miracle-Gro Cactus Potting Mix – Very good drainage and rich in various types of nutrients.
Best Value – Hoffman 10404 Succulent Soil Mix – Fairly good composition ideal for outdoor succulents
Best Budget – Fat Plants Succulent Soil – Rich soil and fairly priced and thus ideal for people on a budget.
Comparison Table for Various Types of Soils