Watering a vegetable garden can be a tedious task. This is because most vegetables, especially the leafy ones, require regular watering. This is why you require a good drip irrigation kit for your vegetable gardens.
As most people are aware, a drip irrigation kit is a complete system of tubes, hoses, nozzles, and sprinklers that can be used to water various types of gardens especially vegetable gardens. The system delivers a certain amount of water and/or nutrients to each plant to prevent both under-watering or overwatering. This can be achieved automatically without having to be there all the time because you might be working, on vacation, playing, taking care of your children, or even studying.
Before we dive into the best drip irrigation kits available today, let’s look at some of the factors to consider when acquiring the kits and also the advantages and disadvantages of a drip system. The majority of these are based on my 7 years of experience as an agronomist and vegetable garden owner.
Factors to Consider When Selecting a Drip Irrigation Kit for Vegetables
- Size and Shape of the Garden – This will determine the length of the hose and how flexible it should be depending on the shape of the garden
- Components – A drip irrigation kit is a system made up of several components. Depending on whether you want to do professional or residential farming, you will select different types of components for your garden
- Ease of installation – An ideal kit should be easy to install whether one has technical skills or not. A drip irrigation kit usually has many joining parts and the manufacturer should ensure that the kit is shipped with an easy-to-follow instructions manual. For a vegetable garden, the kit should be designed to suit that
- Maintenance – The irrigation kit should be easy to maintain with minimal blockage of the emitters. Some good drips come with filters that are installed on the mainline distribution to the field and/or the sub mainline (header)
- UV Resistance- The tubing and other components like emitters should be UV resistant to prevent damage when exposed to the sun
- Timer – A good irrigation system should have a timing mechanism that will control it and enable it to water automatically
Advantages of a Drip Irrigation Kit for Vegetable Gardens
- A drip irrigation kit minimizes evaporation of irrigation because the water is delivered directly to the base of the plant and thus uses minimal water for gardening. It has been found to use less than half the water used for sprinkler irrigation system
- It prevents underwatering or overwatering by ensuring only the required water is released to the vegetables
- It uses low-pressure water systems which means fewer energy costs in pumping
- The system can be connected directly to the hose spigot without having to cut the home water line
- The drip lines are usually flexible and can be moved or adjusted as the vegetables grow. Some vegetables like tomatoes grow rapidly and slight adjustment is important. Some drip lines can be folded to pass near plants that are not planted in a row.
- The supply lines do not require trenches like underground systems because they can be laid on the ground or under the mulch or plastic covers. Some drip lines collapse when water is turned allowing one to walk on them or even machinery.
- Drip irrigation kits can be customized for vegetables that grow on raised beds and containers too
- It prevents the occurrence of an overly moist environment that can promote the growth of fungus and other related plant diseases and weeds. The leaves are left dry further promoting this
- The system does not encourage runoff nor soil erosion
- Working on the garden is easier since the area between the rows is left dry
- The drip irrigation system can also be used to apply certain fertilizers
NB: In the United States and other countries, some municipalities provide incentives and rebates for those people who install and use drip irrigation. Check with your local governance, water provider, or manufacturer.
Shortcomings of a Drip Irrigation Kit for Vegetables
- The initial capital required to acquire and set up the kit per acre might be higher compared to other irrigation methods
- Requires a significant amount of time to set up which can result to crop damage for vegetables that have been planted already, if necessary, precautions are not taken
- It is not ideal for vegetables or seasons that require frost protection and thus sprinklers become necessary
- Rodents, insects, and machinery may damage the drip lines resulting in leaks in areas where water is not required
- Requires the installation of water filters to prevent the blockage of the tiny emitter holes
Top Drip Irrigation Kits for Vegetables
|System Name||System image||System Description||Check on Amazon|
|Flantor Garden Drip Irrigation System||http://||1.It is very easy to install and does not require one to have any plumbing skills or to dig any trenches.|
2. It has Tubing Size of ¼ inch.
3. has 20 barbed tees.
4. has Twenty 1/4″ Tubing Stakes.
5. has Twenty atomizing nozzles.
6. has One 1/4″ Tubing Quick Connector.
7.Each dripper can be adjusted from weak, to general, to strong
|Check on Amazon|
|Raindrip R560DP Automatic Drip Watering Kit||http://||1. it is fully automatic since it comes with a good timer.|
2. It is very easy to install and comes with all the necessary parts required to assemble the system.
3. It is also easy to customize the system depending on the plant layout.
4. It is Essay to expand the system.
|Check on Amazon|
|MSDADA Drip Irrigation System||http://||1. It is very easy to install as no plumbing skills are required.|
2. It comes with a ¼” distribution tubing which is 82 feet long.
3. It works well for various types of areas from greenhouses, patios, decks, gardens, and raised garden beds.
4. Has Adjustable emitters.
5. Has 0-0.5m spray radius.
6. Has Universal Faucet Connector
|Check on Amazon|
|PADRAM Drip Irrigation Kit||http://||1. It is best suited for medium-sized gardens for hobbyists and home gardeners.|
2. It has 82 feet distribution which is ¼ inch in diameter.
3. The hoses are also adjustable and ideal for most irrigation schemes.
4. It is relatively easy to assemble as no digging is required.
5. It is also easy to maintain.
6. It can cover 20-25 square meters of a vegetable garden
|Check on Amazon|
|Wellovar Garden Irrigation System||http://||1. It is made from a fairly good quality ¼ inch tubing which is 80 feet long.|
2. It performs fairly well in direct sunlight.
3. It Does not require very many accessories to be connected.
4. The drippers can be adjusted
|Check on Amazon|
|MIXC 226FT Micro Drip Irrigation Kit||http://||1. has one of the highest flow rates at about 7 liters per hour which is very ideal for vegetables that require lots of water e.g., cabbages and lettuces.|
2. It can water an area of 160 square feet.
3. The drippers can be adjusted individually depending on the need.
4. It has a unique 4×6-Way Connector design that is capable of dividing the water up to 16 tributaries.
5.The nozzles can be used as either drippers or sprinklers
|Check on Amazon|
- Flantor Garden Drip Irrigation System
The Flantor Garden Drip Irrigation Kit has always stood out as the best kit for vegetables. This is based on my gardening experience for a couple of years.
This kit comes in different designs which include a ¼ inch, ½ inch, 3/8-inch blank distribution which varies in length from 50 feet to about 131 ft.
In this review, I am going to outline the ¼ inch variant which I mostly use in my vegetable garden. It is a very popular size among other gardeners with very many positive reviews.
Flantor Kit is very easy to install and does not require one to have any plumbing skills or to dig any trenches. It helps water a lot of plants by just turning the tap on. It takes a seasoned gardener about 30 minutes to assemble this kit including cutting the tubing and installing the drippers.
I have always liked this kit because it comes with several parts and fittings which accomplish the task. It comes with an ideal hose adapter that connects to a garden hose or outside bib faucet without any challenges.
Features of Flantor Drip Irrigation Kit
- Tubing Size – ¼ inch
- Irrigation area – 20-25 square meters
- 20 irrigation drippers
- 20 barbed tees
- One 1/4″ Tubing Quick Connector
- 20 Tee pipe connectors for irrigation sprayer
- Twenty 1/4″ Tubing Stakes
- 20 Goof Plugs (End Closure)
- 20 Barbed couplings
- 20 single barbed couplings
- One 1/4″ Tubing Quick Connector
- Twenty atomizing nozzles
If you are away from your home, you can always incorporate a timer (exclusive) in this irrigation kit so that it water automatically. This is what I usually do when traveling or on vacation instead of bothering my neighbors to water my vegetables.
One trick I learned while working with this kit is that when assembling it instead of warming the tube in water, one can use a heat gun (on mild heat) or even a hairdryer (moms are we together?).
The drippers are adjustable individually to either release droplets or a fine spray
It has fairly good build quality, especially at its price. It outperforms even more expensive kits and the value is desirable.
One disadvantage with this kit is that the tubing tends to expand (the fittings may come off) when the sun gets very hot. In my locality, it rarely gets very hot and I have only reconnected 2 fittings in 3 years I have used these kits.
However, if you stay in some places like hot California, you better add some Gorilla glue to the fittings so that they don’t loosen up in the hot sun.
- Very easy to install
- Each dripper can be adjusted from weak, to general, to strong
- It is 50 feet long
- Ideal for vegetables in a garden, pots, hanging baskets e.t.c
- Can irrigate up to 25 square meters
- Susceptible to extreme heat from the sun
- Does not have a timer
This drip irrigation kit helps save water, time, and money.
- Raindrip R560DP Automatic Drip Watering Kit
This emerged as the second-best drip irrigation kit for vegetables after many months of testing and analyzing it. One of the most outstanding features of this drip kit is that it is fully automatic since it comes with a good timer.
If you grow vegetables in hanging baskets and containers on your courtyard or balcony, Raindrip is the most ideal drip kit for you. However, it also works well in gardens.
This kit can water up to 20 plants at a go without struggling. It is very easy to install and comes with all the necessary parts required to assemble the system.
Features of Raindrip R560DP Drip Irrigation
- Threaded supply tubing
- 1 Universal Faucet Timer
- Raindrip water timer
- 20 Tees
- 2 Barbed Connectors
- 2 Elbows
- 1 Supply Tubing
- 1 End Clamp
- 10 Nails and Clamps (for use in hanging baskets)
- Twenty 0.5 GPH Drippers
- 20 Stakes for Drippers
This drip irrigation kit has a very good build quality. It is also easy to customize the system depending on the plant layout because it comes with various parts which include connectors, barbed tees, and elbows among others.
This also allows one to expand the system later in case one plants more vegetables. One can also attach a garden hose directly to this system.
It is good to note that you need to use a pressure regulator if your water source delivers more than 25 PSI. High pressures in the system mean that the drip emitter will not release any water.
Extreme pressure also causes water leakage at the Tee connectors. To check if excessive pressure is affecting the system negatively, just remove one emitter, if the other emitters release water, then it is a high-pressure problem.
Raindrip does not outline if a pressure regulator is required. However, based on personal experience, a water pressure regulator can be installed on the outlet side of the timer.
This system is water-resistant but not proof, the Timer tends to be affected by long exposure to rain showers or water splashes, it is thus highly recommended to fit it under a waterproof cover.
The timer may also malfunction when exposed to snow (during winter) and later the thaw (spring). This can be attributed to the anomalous expansion of water. Water expands when it freezes.
- Easy to install and use
- Comes with all accessories
- Ideal for plants in hanging baskets and pots
- The timer is not very weather resistant
- MSDADA Drip Irrigation System
If you are looking for a budget but good drip irrigation kit for your vegetable garden, MSDADA is the best kit to go for. It has always delivered water promptly to my vegetables on my veranda.
This drip comes with a ¼” distribution tubing which is 82 feet long. It is also very easy to install as no plumbing skills are required. Also, no digging is also required.
The emitters can be adjusted individually depending on the needs of specific plants to either release droplets, short spray or wide spray up to a radius of 0.5 meters.
Features of MSDADA Drip Irrigation Kit
- ¼ inch distribution tubing
- 82 feet long tubing
- Adjustable emitters
- 0-0.5m spray radius
- Adjustable flow range: 1-70L/h
- 30 Tube Stakes
- Universal Faucet Connector
- One US Standard 1/2″ & 3/4″ Threaded Faucet Connector
- 1 Tape
- 29 Tee Joints
This automatic drip kit works well for various types of areas from greenhouses, patios, decks, gardens, and raised garden beds.
It releases water slowly to the soil and the area around the root. This reduces water usage by up to 70% as compared to overhead sprinklers and manual watering.
One disadvantage is that this drip kit doesn’t come with a timer, if you want your system to be fully automatic you need to purchase a Timer separately. It works very well with the Orbit 62061Z Single-Outlet Hose Watering Timer plus 2wayz Garden Hose Splitter.
The above combination will allow you to go to work or even a vacation for several days without worrying about your vegetable drying up.
It waters all the plants in one go and thus not plant suffers from dry conditions. This drip kit can be connected directly to threaded faucet.
Hints: Cut the hose depending on the distance between your plants and the layout. Use hot water to soft the ends of the hose when connecting. No pressurization is required for this kit and normal tap water pressure can be used directly. If you are using dams, towers or wells and other similar water sources, pressurization will be required.
- Good average length at 82 ft
- Easy to install
- Very good price
- Fewer accessories than competitors
- PADRAM Drip Irrigation Kit
This drip irrigation kit is best suited for medium-sized gardens for hobbyists and home gardeners. It has 82 feet distribution which is ¼ inch in diameter. There is also a 130 feet variant which costs a bit more.
The tubing and accessories are weather-resistant and leak-proof. The hoses are also adjustable and ideal for most irrigation schemes.
It is relatively easy to assemble as no digging is required. It is also easy to maintain.
Features of PADRAM Drip Irrigation System
- 82 feet distribution tubing
- ¼ inch tubing
- 1 Faucet Connector
- One 1/4″ tubing quick connector
- One 1/2″ & 3/4″ Quick Socket
- Five 8 Holes Dripper Stake
- One 1/4″ 82ft /25m Hose
- 15 Drippers
- 20 Barbed Couplings
- 20 Barbed Tees
- 20 Single Barbed Couplings
- 20 Orange Atomizing Nozzles
- 15 C- Shape Support Stakes
- 20 Tee Pipe Connectors
- 20x End Closures
- 1 Punch
- 1 Teflon Tape
- 1 User Manual
This drip kit comes with a total of 151 pcs which are very useful for watering multiple plants. The drippers are adjustable individually and thus accomplish various irrigation needs from drip irrigation, mist irrigation, and columnar irrigation.
The PADRAM micro-irrigation kit can cover 20-25 square meters of a vegetable garden. The drip tubing is made from a high-quality UV-resistant material that does not tear easily and is thus very durable.
It is good to note that it doesn’t come with a timer and thus if you wish to fully automate the system, you will need to purchase and install one.
It comes with a well-detailed and easy-to-understand user manual which also covers best installation practices, maintenance, and how to keep the system working for a long.
NB: Some of the things I learned after using this drip kit is that, to keep water flowing from the drippers/sprayers on the far end, ensure the flow rate is balanced on all the drippers.
The drippers near the faucet ought to be set to minimum water flow while those far away to be set to maximum flow rate. This means that the vegetables that require minimal water ought to be planted near the faucet or source of water.
If the surface of the faucet is smooth and not threaded, leakage is likely to occur. To solve this, one can wrap a seal tape on the faucet’s mouth before installing the connector.
- Weather-resistant and leak proof
- Easy to install
- Good user manual
- Does not come with a timer
- Wellovar Garden Irrigation System
This drip irrigation kit for vegetables is made from a fairly good quality ¼ inch tubing which is 80 feet long.
If you are easily intimidated by kits that come with many pieces, you can go Wellovar because it comes with 54 pieces only.
Features of Wellovar Drip Irrigation Kit
- ¼ distribution tubing
- 80 feet long tubing
- 1 Universal adapter
- 1 Tubing quick connector
- One ½” and ¾” Threaded Faucet Connector
- One 1/4“ blank distribution tubing (80 feet long)
- 20 Red adjustable drippers
- 20 flat tees
- 20 T-connectors
- Twenty ¼” Single Batbed Couplings
- Twenty 1/4’’ Batbed Couplings
- Ten 1/4” Drip Emitters
- Twenty ¼” Single End Closures
- Twenty 1/4 “ Tubing Holder Stakes
- 1 Teflon Tape
- 1 Hole Punch
- 1 shear
The tubing is made from UV-resistant material. It performs fairly well in direct sunlight.
This drip is controlled manually by just switching on the faucet. Adding a timer to this kit makes it fully automatic.
One shortcoming with this kit is that the manufacturer does not sell extra tubing and accessories to extend this for bigger gardens.
- Does not require very many accessories to be connected
- Fairly good build quality
- Can be automated
- The drippers can be adjusted
- It does not have extra accessories to extend beyond 80 feet
- MIXC 226FT Micro Drip Irrigation Kit
This drip irrigation kit has one of the highest flow rates at about 7 liters per hour which is very ideal for vegetables that require lots of water e.g., cabbages and lettuces.
It also has one of the longest tubings at 226 feet with the main hose (1/2 inch) measuring 26 feet and the distribution tubing (1/4 inch) measuring 200 feet.
It can water an area of 160 square feet. The drippers can be adjusted individually depending on the need.
Features of MIXC 226FT Micro Drip Irrigation Kit
- 226 feet tubing
- ½ inch main hose (26 feet)
- ¼ inch distribution tubing (200 feet)
- 4×6-Way Connector
It has a unique 4×6-Way Connector design that is capable of dividing the water up to 16 tributaries. This design also increases the water pressure there solving the issue of water not getting to the end of the line. This is very useful for a long line like this.
It is good to note this system requires the water pressure to be between 25 to 45 PSI and thus it’s good to know the pressure and install the appropriate pressure regulator. The material used is of fairly good build quality and UV resistant.
- The nozzles can be used as either drippers or sprinklers
- The unique 4×6-Way Connector enables the system to irrigate a large area at high pressure
- The hose and tubing are very flexible
- The connection is not very easy for beginners
There you have it, the above are some of the best drip irrigation kits for vegetable gardens. The featured products performed better as compared to other products we used and tested.
You can choose any of the drip kits above depending on the size of your vegetable gardens and other personal requirements and preferences. Whichever you go for will not disappoint you.
Have a great gardening time growing your vegetables.